Repeat Use of Unemployment Insurance in Japan

Repeat Use of Unemployment Insurance in Japan Japan

One of my friends quit his job after working for a year and went abroad for three months. Moreover, he is receiving unemployment insurance for three months, so he is getting money without working. This time, I asked my friend about the system and will explain about it.

What is a Period Worker?

Period Worker

Periodical workers are contract employees who work for a fixed period of time, also known as term workers. It is characterized by the fact that there are many openings during the period when factory production is active. Factory workers are often temporary workers, but the main difference between the two workers is that a period worker is hired directly by the company and is not dispatched by a temp agency.

The work involves automation (of automatic control devices) in industries such as automobiles, aircraft, machine tools, and electronic components, for example.

They work for a year, resign, and then receive unemployment insurance for three months. Period workers are provided with a dormitory, and they also receive 200,000 to 400,000 yen as a gift for joining the company. Therefore, they can save up money for about 3 million yen in a year, so they have no problem going abroad for 3 months.

The process is as follows.

  1. Work as a period worker for one year
  2. Quit
  3. Receive unemployment insurance (for 3 months)
  4. Work again as a period worker at a different company for one year.
  5. Quit again
  6. Receive unemployment insurance (for 3 months)

Unemployment Insurance

In general, if you resign for personal reasons, there will be a waiting period of three months before unemployment insurance is released. During this waiting period, you will not be able to receive unemployment insurance.

However, even if you refuse to renew your contract, you will still be treated as a special insured person for short-term employment under the system, so there is no three-month waiting period and you will receive unemployment insurance for at least 90 days. As a rough estimate of the amount of money you will receive, you will be able to receive 60-70% of your average monthly salary.

However, there are some conditions that must be met in order to receive unemployment insurance. You will not be able to receive unemployment insurance unconditionally just because you quit your job as a period worker.

Work for more than 12 months

In order to receive unemployment insurance, you must be enrolled in an employment insurance for at least 12 months. For example, working as a period worker for six months does not meet this condition.

However, this period can be combined with your previous employment, so if you can combine the periods of your previous employment, you may be able to receive the insurance. Anyone who has worked as a period worker for more than 12 months can definitely get unemployment insurance.

Contract period

Contract period

If you quit when your contract does not expire, you will be treated as resigning for personal reasons and will be subject to a 3-month waiting period. In order to avoid this waiting period, make sure you complete your contract and receive unemployment insurance.

If you resign at the end of your contract, even on your own volition, you will be treated as a special insured person for short-term employment and will not be subjected to the three-month waiting period.

Show your intention to work

Show your intention to work

Another condition for receiving unemployment insurance is whether or not you are willing to work. If you are not willing to work, you will not be able to receive unemployment insurance. In order to show that you are willing to do the work, you need to make a record of your activities, such as your job search activities.

This record of activity is required at least twice in the four weeks between the date of unemployment certification and the next date of unemployment certification. You need to report the results of your activities during this period on the next day of unemployment certification, and be recognized by Hello Work as having the intention to work properly.

You can do this by doing the following

  • Applying for jobs
  • Taking qualification exams
  • Receive employment counseling and referrals
  • Participating in courses and seminars

If you do these things, they will see that you are willing to do the work.

Re-employment Allowance

The re-employment allowance is something that you can receive if you are able to find a new job with at least one third of the days of unemployment benefits remaining. In other words, if you find a job within two months of receiving unemployment benefits, you can receive this benefit. However, the amount of money you can get from this is said to be less than the unemployment allowance. 

The conditions are as follows

  • The number of days remaining in the basic allowance after being certified as unemployed up to the day before the date of employment is at least one third of the prescribed number of benefit days.
  • It is recognized as certain that the applicant will work for more than one year.
  • The employment must be after the waiting period has expired.
  • In the case of benefit restriction due to the reason for separation from employment, for the first month after the expiration of the waiting period, the employment must have been obtained through an introduction by Hello Work or a licensed/registered employment placement agency.
  • The employee must not have been re-employed by the previous employer (including employers who have a close relationship with the previous employer in terms of capital, funds, personnel, transactions, etc.).
  • The applicant must not have received reemployment allowance or regular employment support allowance for employment within 3 years prior to the date of employment.
  • The applicant must not have been employed by an employer who had already made an offer of employment prior to the eligibility determination (application for employment).
  • In principle, the employment must be under conditions that meet the requirements for obtaining the insured status of employment insurance.

There are detailed explanations about the production process of fermented foods such as miso and soy sauce, as well as knowledge about alcohol. I actually made yogurt and natto after watching this anime.